It is normal for a person to have dry eyes when the weather gets dry and lacks moisture or in case of fever, etc. However, if your eyes get dried frequently, you must consult an eye doctor. The symptoms of dry eyes include a burning sensation, itching, twitching, etc. Although this condition is quite common, it can also be a sign of some serious disease. People who have diabetes, thyroid problem, blepharitis, etc., are more prone to having dry eyes. The situation occurs when your eyes do not produce sufficient tears or if your tears evaporate very quickly. The older you become, the more chances for you to develop dry eyes.
Tips to avoid Bronx dry eyes:
- Blink frequently: This is one of the most ignored pieces of advice, as most people tend to stare at a particular screen for quite too long without blinking. Blinking not only renews tear film in your eyes but also washes away the dust and helps keep your eyes moisturized. On average, most people blink 15 times in one minute but when they’re staring at a particular screen, it comes down to 7. Therefore, you must make it a habit to blink as frequently as you can.
- Take frequent breaks from the screen: It is advised that you should look 20 feet away every 20 minutes for at least 20 seconds when you are staring at the screen. Continuous staring at the screen makes your eyes dry and can cause itching, strain, and loss of vision.
- Wash your eyes: Whether or not you have dry eyes, you should wash your eyes with cold water whenever you feel heavy over the eyelids. It helps moisturize your eyes and ease irritation.
- Consume sufficient omega-3 fatty acid: Omega-3 fatty acid helps improve the moisture in the eyes, and it is also anti-inflammatory in nature. These acids are not just good for your eyes but also for your overall health. You can consume chia seeds, flax seeds, algae-based supplements, etc., to fulfill your requirement for omega-3 fatty acids.
- Use eye drops: Certain eye drops keep your eyes lubricated and provide temporary relief. However, you must first consult your eye doctor before buying over-the-counter eye drops.
Along with the above tips, you must eat nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables and get enough sleep every night. Vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, and B12 are very essential for the eyes. And in case you develop dry eyes, do not hesitate to get it checked as soon as possible.